The official petition states: ‘Apple is ditching the standard headphone jack to screw consumers and the planet. This is right out of the Apple corporate playbook. A few years ago it swapped out the original iPod-dock connector with a new one, making countless cords, cables and chargers obsolete — for limited performance improvement.’
We have many problems with this petition. In fact, too many to put in the form of a coherent paragraph. Here is a list of some:
- Apple is not trying to ‘screw consumers’, the new (rumoured) headphone jack will allow them to achieve thinner phones, which is what we assume consumers want.
- People choose to buy Apple and Apple products, no one is forcing you into buying the new iPhone…
- …And further more, Apple gives you a free pair of headphones with its iPhones anyway. (Which they have always done – they aren’t creating specific extra ‘waste’ here).
- Technological advancement and change is not pointless – no one complained when the Apple of the Stone Age brought out their new range of iBronze tools (same could be said for every advancement).
- Does anyone even miss the old iPhone charger cords?! The new ones are way better… (and docks are more on the Bluetooth hype these days).
- If Apple hadn’t innovated and invented we’d still be using the Apple 1, which doesn’t look very good.
- Apple is a corporation not a publicly funded service – it doesn’t really matter what you think. It makes and changes what it wants.
- You hate Apple (obvs), so please go and buy an Android.